Brand Yourself, part 5: The Action Plan
The past few weeks you have been working on identifying your assets and growth areas (If you haven’t, check out Brand Yourself, part 1). You have also hopefully started working on building on your strengths, addressing areas for improvement and are starting to put yourself out there. To put it all together, I wanted to share with two action plans with you. The first is a plan you can use for your first month. The other plan you can use and revise each month as needed:
Month 1: Getting Started
- Create a blog and write your first post. Create your own site, use social media or try a blogging site like Medium.
- Identify 3 associations to get more involved with.
- Identify 4 sites that post news, speculation and other information related to your industry. At least 3 of these sites should have a comment section or a forum where you can contribute.
- Create/update your LinkedIn and other key social media profiles with your selling points.
- Identify 2 social media platforms that you want to use to contribute your industry knowledge on a regular basis.
Month 2 and beyond: Keeping it Going
- Comment on one post a week on a local forum.
- Share 4-12 relevant posts, videos, etc. on social media (with a max of 25% being from your own blog).
- Find 1-2 networking events to participate in each month.
- Get involved in an industry association and volunteer each month to help with an event or activity (i.e. coordinating, presenting, volunteering)
- Write 2-8 blog posts each month
- Read 3+ industry related posts weekly
- Take 1 action to address one of your identified weaknesses each month
Creating your own brand takes time, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. The more you put into it, the more of an asset you will be considered in your industry in the long run.